Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Excitement of Academia... and modern disillusionment

There just seem to be a disillusionment amidst young people
regarding the excitement of academia... of higher concepts..

They just seem obssessed with everyday trivialities,
when.. when... right before them... are these brilliant, beautiful,
enchanting things.

I think my excitement, and I guess, the excitement of those in
Academia (who are really passionate about their pursuits... you
know these people when you see them) is really well epitomised
in the song "A whole new world"... the lyrics really capture that excitement...

And of course, as "informed" people who know of such excitement, as "holders" of such inspiring knowledge, we want to share it with others... but of course accompanying that is, well, a sort of "lamentation" at the state of the everyday where the laypeople simply do not recognise the sheer wonder of these things... the sheer apathy... when all one needs to do is open one's mind...

Anyway... "A whole new world"... entering academia really is like entering a whole new world, it's truly exciting, the things that are revealed... (for once, please, let us take a break from the mundane everyday triviailities! The everyday bores me as much as "technicalities" do to the general populace!)

I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, princess, now when did
You last let your heart decide?

I can open your eyes
Take you wonder by wonder
Over, sideways and under
On a magic carpet ride

A whole new world
A new fantastic point of view
No one to tell us no
Or where to go
Or say we're only dreaming

A whole new world
A dazzling place I never knew
But when I'm way up here
It's crystal clear
That now I'm in a whole new world with you
Now I'm in a whole new world with you

Unbelievable sights
Indescribable feeling
Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling
Through an endless diamond sky

A whole new world
Don't you dare close your eyes
A hundred thousand things to see
Hold your breath - it gets better
I'm like a shooting star
I've come so far
I can't go back to where I used to be

A whole new world
Every turn a surprise
With new horizons to pursue
Every moment red-letter
I'll chase them anywhere
There's time to spare
Let me share this whole new world with you

A whole new world
a whole new world
That's where we'll be
That's where we'll be
A thrilling chase
A wondrous place
For you and me

No comments: