Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I could die right now, Clem. I'm just... happy. I've never felt that before. I'm just exactly where I want to be... Reflections

"I could die right now, Clem. I'm just... happy. I've never felt that before. I'm just exactly where I want to be..."

So many people discuss what is the meaning of life.
So many people discuss what is true happiness.

Well, I think, there you have it.
So brilliantly summed up in the film "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

Many people ask about goals in life, what is the point of it all.

Well, I think A LOT of things in our lives can be put in perspective when we realise and understand that we aren't here forever.

Many people live in the illusion that they're immortal beings, that they'll be present forever. But the truth is that they'll be gone in some finite time in the future.

Ultimately, I believe, the point of our lives is to reach that point Joel Barish reached in the film... where, if we were to die right there and then, we would have no regrets.

In a way, one could sum it up like this:

The point of life is in getting ready to die.

This may sound morbid, depressing; but that can, in turn, be turned upside down - "getting ready" in my view, is searching for, and finding true happiness, or anything along that line, that gives, creates meaning to our life.

Life is a synthesis, an invention, a creation.

True happiness... that sense of knowing that you're at the right place and at the right time. Knowing that you do not want, desire, any more! That one is satisfied... ... so satisfied that one would not regret it if they were to die.

Religions (/ "belief systems") are not what you see on the outside; those customs, rules, rituals etc. etc. ARE NOT what defines religion. In fact, we could do away with all that and still have religion.

Rather, religion (/"belief systems") stems from humanity's confrontation with the eternal void that marks the time before, and after, our lives; and how the knowledge of such eternity should influence how we live our lives in that brief time we're on this planet.

Find true happiness.
Do you want to know the definition?
True happiness is something, that once found, would make you prepared to die.

In my view, seeking this, is ultimately, the meaning of life; sure, of course, "true happiness" can mean sooooooo many different things to different people, achieved through so many diverse paths; but they're all united in the above effect it would have on you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wierd !!!
but you're right.
in a way i cant describe.